The Dixie Swim Club
a jones hope wooten comedy
directed by Kathryn Adams Wood
Saturday, April 27, @ 2:00 p.m.
Monday, April 29, @ 6:30 p.m.
Red Door Theatre
101 N. Prairie Street
Union Springs, AL 36089
AUDITION INFO - "THE DIXIE SWIM CLUB"
WHO: Kathryn Adams Wood, Director
WHAT: Open auditions for the Red Door Theatre's 2019 summer production, THE DIXIE SWIM CLUB. Auditions will include cold readings from the script.
WHEN: Auditions will be held SATURDAY, April 27, 2019, @ 2:00 p.m., and MONDAY, April 29, 2019, at 6:30 p.m.
THE STORY: Five Southern women, whose friendships began many years ago on their college swim team, set aside a long weekend every August to recharge those relationships. Free from husbands, kids and jobs, they meet at the same beach cottage on North Carolina's Outer Banks to catch up, laugh and meddle in each other's lives. THE DIXIE SWIM CLUB focuses on four of those weekends and spans a period of thirty-three years. As their lives unfold and the years pass, these women increasingly rely on one another, through advice and raucous repartee, to get through the challenges (men, sex, marriage, parenting, divorce, aging) that life flings at them. And when fate throws a wrench into one of their lives in the second act, these friends, proving the enduring power of "teamwork," rally 'round their own with the strength and love that takes this comedy in a poignant and surprising direction. THE DIXIE SWIM CLUB is the story of these five unforgettable women—a hilarious and touching comedy about friendships that last forever…
ROLES TO BE CAST (5 female):
- Sheree Hollinger, the perennial team captain, is practical, supportive and a fount of boundless energy. Never without her to-do list or scheduler, her tendency to be hyper-organized occasionally drives her friends a bit crazy. She’s the eternal tomboy, a health nut and an all-American mom who lives in Raleigh, NC with her family.
- Dinah Grayson, the wise-cracking cynic of the group, has fought her way to the top and relishes the view. A lawyer in the biggest and most prestigious las firm in Atlanta, Dinah excels at everything …. except romance. Armed with a dry martini and an even drier sense of humor, Dinah seldom reveals her softer side as she tackles life head-on.
- Lexie Richards, a true Southern belle who lives in Chapel Hill, NC, is the vain, youth- obsessed event planner for a chain of four-star hotels. She has never shied away from the occasional nip or tuck and keeps her cosmetic surgeon on speed dial. Always one to revel in her status as a man-magnet, Lexie can be counted on to share wild and hilarious tales of her romantic exploits.
- Jeri Neal McFeeley is the ditzy ray of sunshine of the group. She’s perky and naïve and always sees the positive side of everything. Having been a nun for many years, Jeri Neal has been protected from life’s steamier side. Even though she appears to be predictable on the surface, Jeri Neal, recently relocated to Charlottesville, VA, continually makes life choices that surprise and amaze her friends.
- Vernadette Simms is a hard luck case if there ever was one. Marriage and motherhood came shortly after college and a dark cloud has hovered above her ever since. A public school teacher, with limited finances and a problematic home life in Spivey’s Corner, NC, Vernadette is self-deprecating by necessity. She faces her tribulations in gallows humor and the unwavering support of these lifelong friends.
The characters in this play will be portrayed at ages 44, 49, 54 and 77.
TECHNICAL POSITIONS NEEDED:
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: TBA.
TECH WEEK: Sunday, July 21 - Wednesday, July 24, 2019; no exceptions; details and times will be discussed during rehearsal process.
PRODUCTION DATES (4 performances): July 25-28, 2019. Performances Th/25th, Fr/26th, and Sat/27th begin at 7:30 p.m. Performance Su/28th at 2:30 p.m.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact the Tourism Council office at 334-738-8687.