AUDITION INFO - "SWELL PARTY"
WHO: Tom Salter, Director
WHAT: Open auditions for the Red Door Theatre's 2019 winter production, SWELL PARTY. Auditions will include cold readings from the script.
WHEN: Auditions will be held SUNDAY, December 9, 2018, @ 3:00 p.m., and MONDAY, December 10, 2018, at 6:30 p.m.
THE STORY: The year is 1932. Tobacco heir Smith Reynolds has just returned to his family’s North Carolina estate from an extended trip to New York. He brings with him a surprising souvenir: a wife! The new Mrs. Reynolds is a popular jazz singer and actress a dozen years older than her husband. But the wedding party is flat-out ruined when the groom turns up dead. As the guests gather along with the County Solicitor to reconstruct the evening’s events and try to solve the mystery, it becomes clear that for Southerners, the truth isn’t nearly as important as a good story! (www.atlantatheaterfans.com)
ROLES TO BE CAST (4 female/3 male):
- Babe Collier Vaught- 33. A secretary, a widowed debutante, slightly past her prime.
- Kate Reynolds- 60s. Guardian of the RJ Reynolds heirs. An iron fist wrapped in a lace glove.
- Albert "Ab" Walker- 27. Smith's best friend and assistant. Congenial and conflicted.
- Erle McMichael- 60s. The Forsyth County Assistant Solicitor. An old friend of Kate's. Good at his job.
- Smith "Smitty" Reynolds- 20. An aviator. The youngest heir to the RJ Reynolds tobacco fortune.
- Libby Holman Reynolds- 32. Broadway star, more notorious than famous. Smith's wife.
- Blanche Yurka- 46. Libby's live-in acting coach. A legend in her own mind.
Characters' ages may be adjusted to fit the actors as long as it does not affect the integrity of the script.
TECHNICAL POSITIONS NEEDED:
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: TBA. Tentative read-throughs are Sunday, December 16, at 3:00 p.m., and Monday, December 17, at 7:00 p.m. The schedule will be adjusted to accommodate personal needs when at all possible.
TECH WEEK: Sunday, February 10- Wednesday, February 13, 2019; no exceptions; details and times will be discussed during rehearsal process.
PRODUCTION DATES (4 performances): February 14, 15, 16, & 17, 2019. Performances Th/14th, Fr/15th, and Sat/16th begin at 7:30 p.m. Performance Su/17th at 2:30 p.m.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact Tom Salter at 334-224-2208 or email@example.com OR the Tourism Council office at 334-738-8687.