Honky Tonk Angels
by Ted Swindley
directed by Kim Mason
Sunday, September 9, @ 4:30 p.m.
Monday, September 10, @ 6:30 p.m.
Red Door Theatre
101 N. Prairie Street
Union Springs, AL 36089
AUDITION INFO - THE HONKY TONK ANGELS HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR
WHO: Kim Mason, Director
WHAT: Open auditions for the Red Door Theatre's 2018 holiday production, THE HONKY TONK ANGELS HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR. Auditions will include vocals and cold readings from the script. Please come prepared with a song from the TRADITIONAL country genre with sheet music (preferred) for the accompanist or recorded music--CD, bluetooth from your phone, etc. No acapella. (Songs in the play are listed at the end of this announcement, and you are encouraged to use one of them.)
WHEN: Auditions will be held SUNDAY, September 9, 2018 @ 4:30 p.m., and MONDAY, September 10, at 6:30 p.m.
THE STORY: Three ladies, Angela, Sue Ellen and Darlene met on a greyhound bus a year earlier and had formed the singing group, The Honky Tonk Angels and performed together in Nashville. The Angles were invited back to do a Holiday reunion show at the "Hillbilly Heaven Club," but Angela mysteriously cannot attend. Sue Ellen invites one of her employees, Charilee (Charity Leona) Chess to fill in for Angela. Angela does eventually return, very pregnant, and the four put on a fantastic show. Featuring many famous holiday tunes from every genre: Elvis to Motown, Country to Pop, and everything in between - this show is a musical feast with heart and lots of laughs!
ROLES TO BE CAST (4 female):
- Sue Ellen Smith Barney Fife - a citified country girl in her late 30's. She is sexy, confident, and currently running her own nail salon and "beauty business" in Los Angeles.
- Charilee Chess - a larger-than-life African-American woman in her forties, originally from Detroit. She works with Sue Ellen in her nail salon. She is fun and very earthy, with a big gospel voice. She is also somewhat psychic. She is the widow of "Tubby Chess," a legendary soul singer.
- Darlene Purvis - A young country singer in her late 20's, she is currently trying to "make it" in Nashville. She is pretty and naive. She is originally from the hills of Appalachia, but grew up in the Mississippi Delta.
- Angela Bodine - A Texas housewife in her 30's. She is full of fun. She is VERY pregnant with twins - due any time.
Characters' ages may be adjusted to fit the actors as long as it does not affect the integrity of the script.
MUSICIANS NEEDED - COUNTRY BAND, ESPECIALLY:
- other country band musicians
TECHNICAL POSITIONS NEEDED:
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: TBA. The schedule will be adjusted to accommodate personal needs when at all possible.
Sunday, November 25 - Wednesday, November 28; no exceptions; details and times will be discussed during rehearsal process.
NOTE - Thanksgiving is the Thursday (11/22/18) before tech begins on Sunday, 11/25.
PRODUCTION DATES (5 performances):
- November 29 & 30 and December 1 & 2 (NOTE: there will be matinee and evening performances on December 1).
- Performances Th/29th, Fr/30th, and Sat/1st begin at 7:30.
- Performance Sat/1st and Su/2nd at 2:30 P.M.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact Kim Mason at 334-202-2053 or ktlmason@gmail OR the Tourism Council office
TITLE ORIGINAL ARTIST
- Overture-Rock Candy Mountain Harry McClintock
- Angels We Have Heard On High Carpenters
- It Wasn’t God Who Made Kitty Wells
Honky Tonk Angels
- Rockin’ ‘Round The Brenda Lee
- Country Christmas Loretta Lynn
- Christmas Times’s A Comin’ Bill Monroe
- The Mississippi Squirrel Ray Stevens
- White Christmas Ronnettes
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus Ronnettes
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town Jackson 5
- Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag James Brown
- Peppermint Twist Joey Dee
- Greatest Little Christmas Ever Was Ray Stevens
- Santa Bring My Baby Back Home Barbara Mandrell
- My Favorite Things Lorrie Morgan
- Coat of Many Colors Dolly Parton
- Pretty Paper Willie Nelson
- Christmas Carol Oak Ridge Boys
- Redneck 12 Days Of Christmas Jeff Foxworthy
- Kay Thompson’s Jingle Bells Michael W. Smith
- Jingle Bell Rock Brenda Lee
- Christmas in the City of Angels Johnny Mathis
- Christmastime in the Valley Freddy Fender
- Feliz Navidad Jose Feliciano
- Little Saint Nick The Beach Boys
- Little Old Lady From Pasadena Jan and Dean
- Grandma Got Run Over By a Joe Diffie
- Mama’s Applesauce Cake John Wolmsley
- Hunka Burnin’ Love Elvis Presley
- Blue Christmas Elvis Presley
- Santa Claus is Back in Town Elvis Presley
- Merry Christmas Darlin’ Carpenters
- What A Wonderful World Willie Nelson
- From A Distance Bette Midler
- Unclouded Day Willie Nelson
- Joy to the World Three Dog Night
- Auld Ang Syne Guy Lombardo