by Robert Harling
directed by Kathryn Adams Wood
Sunday, May 6, @ 3:00 p.m.
Monday, May 7, @ 6:30 p.m.
Red Door Theatre
101 N. Prairie Street
Union Springs, AL 36089
WHO: Kathryn Adams Wood, Director
WHAT: Open auditions for the Red Door Theatre's 2018 summer production, STEEL MAGNOLIAS. Auditions will include cold readings from the script.
WHEN: Auditions ~ Sunday, May 6, at 3:00 p.m. AND Monday, May 7, at 6:30 p.m..
THE STORY: Set in Truvy's beauty salon in Chinquapin, Louisiana, where all the ladies who are "anybody" come to have their hair done, Steel Magnolias is filled with hilarious repartee and not a few acerbic but humorously revealing verbal collisions. Moving toward tragedy, the young, beautiful, but diabetic Shelby risks pregnancy and her life. The sudden realization of her mortality affects the others, but also draws on the underlying strength—and love—which give the play, and its characters, the special quality to make them truly touching, funny and marvelously amiable company in good times and bad. (DPS)
ROLES TO BE CAST (6 female):
- Truvy Jones: 35-45. Owns the beauty shop. Vivacious. Free with giving advice.
- Annelle Dupup: originally from Desoto; 18-24 Newly hired assistant. Moves from unsure to wild to religious.
- Clairee Belcher: 55 to late 60’s. Widow of former mayor. Grand dame. Elegant, sophisticated, a true beauty.
- Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: 19 Prettiest girl in town. Loves pink. Strong willed, passionate.
- M’Lynn Eatenton: 40 to 50’s. Shelby’s mother. Always knows what’s best, strong, stubborn, the heart of the piece.
- Ouiser (pronounced Weezer) Boudreaux: 55 to late 60’s. Wealthy curmudgeon. Tough, eccentric character.
Characters' ages may be adjusted to fit the actors as long as it does not affect the integrity of the script.
TECHNICAL POSITIONS NEEDED:
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: TBA. The schedule will be adjusted to accommodate personal needs when at all possible.
TECH WEEK: Sunday, July 22-Wednesday, July 25; no exceptions; details and times will be discussed during rehearsal process.
PRODUCTION DATES: July 26-29, 2018.
- Performances Th/26th, F/27th, & Sa/28th begin at 7:30.
- Performance on Su/29th is at 2:30 P.M.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact the Tourism Council office at (334) 738-8687.