The Dreamland Bus
by Kenneth Graham
Sunday ~ May 14 ~ 6:30 p.m.
Monday ~ May 15 ~ 6:30 p.m.
Red Door Theatre
101 N. Prairie Street
Union Springs, AL 36089
WHO: Kathryn Adams Wood, Director
WHAT: Open auditions for the Red Door Theatre's 2017 summer production, THE DREAMLAND BUS. Auditions will include cold readings from the script.
WHEN: Auditions will be held SUNDAY, MAY 14, @ 6:30 p.m. and MONDAY, MAY 15, at 6:30 p.m.
THE STORY: “The Dreamland Bus,” a haunting memory play about the Bradleys of Columbia, S.C., is a charming, funny, deeply touching, and life-affirming story about family and homecomings based upon the playwright’s family and his Southern up-bringing. (theatremania.com) The title reflects the words of his father, a Southern doctor, when the children were being put to bed – “it’s time to get on the dreamland bus."
ROLES TO BE CAST (2 female/4 male):
- Dr. Randolph "Boston" Bradley--76, a recently retired physician, a gentle man with silver hair and a slight Southern accent, a droll sense of humor, and a love of storytelling. He pereniall seemed ten years younger than his age, but has recently been slowed down by illness.
- Lucille Kubiak Bradley--66, a former nurse, ten years younger than her husband. She is a fast-moving, high-spirited brunette, with a little less energy than the sun.
- "Zeezee" Heyward--44, their oldest child. A beauty queen in high school and college, she is still youthful and pretty; however, from her years as a wife and working mother of 2 sons, she has acquired a strength and clarity that pretty women are not always encouraged to develop.
- Randolph Bradley--42, the oldest son. He is an attorney, a man with a strong voice who retains some of the military bearing of his days as a cadet and takes seriously his role as oldest brother among the 3 sons.
- Christopher Bradley--37, a tall, youngish looking man who is struggling to hold to his ideals. He is a writer living in NYC.
- David Bradley--32, the youngest son, also an attorney. He is a quick witted, gregarious young man who can make the simplest incidents funny.
Characters' ages may be adjusted to fit the actors as long as it does not affect the integrity of the script.
TECHNICAL POSITIONS NEEDED:
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: Rehearsal schedule to be based on work/personal time constraints of the cast.
PRODUCTION DATES: July 27-30, 2017.
- Performances Th/27th, F/28th, & Sa/29th begin at 7:30.
- Performance on Su/30th is at 2:30 P.M.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact the Tourism Council office at (334) 738-8687.