The Savannah Sipping Society
...a Jones, Hope, & Wooten comedy
directed by Kathryn Wood
Sunday, April 11, 2021, @ 5:00 p.m.
Monday, April 12, 2021, @ 6:30 p.m.
Red Door Theatre
101 N. Prairie Street
Union Springs, AL 36089
AUDITION INFO - "The Savannah Sipping Society"
WHO: Kathryn Wood, Director
WHAT: Open auditions for the Red Door Theatre's production, "The Savannah Sipping Society." Auditions will include cold readings from the script.
WHEN/WHERE: Auditions will be held SUNDAY, April 11, 2021, @ 5:00 p.m., and MONDAY, April 12, 2021, at 6:30 p.m. at the Red Door Theatre.
In this delightful, laugh-a-minute comedy, four unique Southern women, all needing to escape the sameness of their day-to-day routines, are drawn together by Fate - and an impromptu happy hour - and decide it's high time to reclaim the enthusiasm for life they've lost through the years. Over the course of six months, filled with laughter, hilarious misadventures, and the occasional liquid refreshment, these middle-aged women successfully bond and find the confidence to jumpstart their new lives. Together, they discover lasting friendships and a renewed determination to live in the moment - and most importantly, realize it's never too late to make new old friends. The Savannah Sipping Society is presented by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, Inc., New York.
ROLES TO BE CAST (There are four main characters in the play, plus one non-speaking role):
- Randa Covington (stage age 49) Randa is a perfectionist and workaholic, struggling to cope with a surprise career derailment that, unfortunately, reveals that she has no life and no idea how to get one.
- Dot Haigler (stage age 69) Dot is still reeling from her husband’s recent demise and the loss of their plans for an idyllic retirement. She also faces the unsettling prospect of starting a new life from scratch — and all alone.
- Marlafaye Mosley (stage age 57) Earthy and boisterous, Marlafaye is a good ol’ Texas gal. She has blasted into Savannah in the wake of losing her tom-cattin’ husband to a 23-year-old dental hygienist. The strength of her desire to establish a new life is equaled only by her desire to wreak a righteous revenge on her ex.
- Jinx Jenkins (stage age 53) Also new to town, Jinx, a spunky ball of fire, offers her services as a much-needed life coach for these women. However, blinded by her determination and efforts to get their lives on track, she overlooks the fact that she’s the one most in need of sage advice.
- Randa’s Grandmother (non-speaking role; stage age 81) Grandmother of Randa who appears and dies. Elegant matriarch of powerful, southern family
Characters' ages may be adjusted to fit the actors as long as it does not affect the integrity of the script.
TECHNICAL POSITIONS NEEDED:
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: TBA.
TECH WEEK: Sunday - Wednesday; July 11-14, 2021. NO exceptions; details and times will be discussed during rehearsal process.
PRODUCTION DATES (4 performances): July 15, 16, 17, & 18, 2021. Performances Th/July 15, Fr/July 16, and Sat/July 17, begin at 7:30 p.m. Performance Su/July 18 at 2:30 p.m. ALL PERFORMANCES AT DREAM FIELD FARMS (13 miles west of Union Springs on US 82). Rehearsals to be held at THE RED DOOR THEATRE in Union Springs.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact the Tourism Council Office at 334-738-8687.